Knowledge attracts growth, and growth boosts knowledge. Find out how your business will benefit from the close proximity of top-notch strategic research centers (strategische onderzoekscentra or SOCs) in Flanders.
Imec is a unique, world-class research center in the field of nanoelectronics, and boasts leading expertise in software and ICT. It uses this knowledge to develop disruptive technologies and solutions in application areas such as health, connectivity and clean energy.
Thanks to its close collaboration with Flanders’ universities and close ties with the local biotech ecosystem, VIB is the leading life sciences research institute in the region and a major reference in biotech. The research center is known for its breakthroughs in life sciences research and turning them into tangible applications.
Energy, materials and environmental and terrestrial observation are VITO’s areas of expertise. This research institute is dedicated to developing technological solutions to real industry problems and providing expert advice.
With different sites across the region, Flanders Make is Flanders’ strategic research center for the manufacturing industry. In addition to stimulating open innovation through top-notch research, Flanders Make also offers companies access to custom innovation trajectories as well as testing and validation infrastructure.
In addition to the universities, businesses, research centers, hospitals and R&D centers in Flanders, a wide variety of diverse scientific institutes are headquartered in the region. These include:
- Rega Institute for Medical Research
- Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research (ILVO)
- Research Institute for Nature and Forests (INBO)
- Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp
- Agency for Archaeological Heritage
- Botanic Garden Meise
- Institute for Tropical Medicine (ITM)
- Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ)
- Neuro-electronics Research Flanders (NERF)
- BlueHealth Innovation Center (BHIC)
- Research center for Nuclear Energy (SCK)